International arrest warrants have been issued for the suspects in the 1992 bombings of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, in which 29 people – four of them Israeli diplomats – were killed. The Argentinian High Court issued the warrants last Thursday, and over the weekend they were forwarded to Interpol.
The warrants name Hussein Mohammed Ibrahim Suleiman, a Hezbollah terrorist, and Jose Salan Al-Reda, also active in Hezbollah, as prime suspects in the bombing. The attack, in March 1992, was one of two major terror attacks targeting Jewish and Israeli targets in Argentina in the 1990s. Two years later, on July 18, 1994, a Hezbollah terrorist detonated a massive car bomb in front of the AMIA Jewish community center in central Buenos Aires, killing 85 people and injuring more than 300. Most of them were Jews.
The issuance of the warrants is a major advance in the case, which was frozen in June 2001, after Suleiman was arrested in Jordan. Under questioning, he admitted that he had smuggled explosives into Argentina that were used in the attack. However, he was released a short time afterwards.
Israel has since been pressuring Argentina, Interpol, and other parties to move forward with the case. A Foreign Ministry spokesperson said that Israel finally received a response to its long-standing request last month, with the Supreme Court requesting information on the suspects. Officials said they did not know what prompted the request.
In 2013, Israel and Argentina were at odds when Buenos Aires signed an agreement with Iran in 2013 to investigate the AMIA bombings.