Belgium charges third suspect in plot to attack France

Belgium on Saturday charged a third suspect with terrorist activities over a foiled plot to attack France, AFP reports.

Federal prosecutors named the suspect only as 35-year-old Y.A., but provided no further details.

“He has been charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group,” the federal prosecutor’s office said in a statement, adding that the development was part of a joint investigation by France and Belgium.

Two others — Abderrahmane A. and Rabah M. — are also being held in Belgium over the same plot, according to AFP.

The main plot suspect is Reda Kriket, who was arrested near Paris last week after police found an arsenal of weapons and explosives at his home.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said “no specific target” had been identified for the foiled attack but that the cache of weapons showed an imminent act of “extreme violence” had likely been prevented.

The Netherlands is also holding a French national in connection with the same plot and he is currently fighting his extradition to France.

Kriket is suspected of having ties to Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the suspected ringleader of last November’s terror attacks in Paris, who was killed in a raid shortly after the attacks.

Kriket’s arrest came one day after the ISIS terrorist attacks in Brussels, though officials said there was no evidence of any link between his plot and the Brussels bombings.

The bombings in Brussels came just four days after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam in Belgium. Abdeslam is believed to have played a key role in organizing the Paris attacks.

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/210216

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *