Belgium releases sole suspect charged over Brussels attacks

The sole suspect charged over last week's Brussels attacks was released on Monday due to a lack of evidence linking him to the carnage, Belgian prosecutors said, according to the AFP news agency.

"The indications that led to the arrest of Faycal C were not substantiated by the ongoing inquiry. As a result, the subject has been released by the examining magistrate," the federal prosecutor's office said in a statement, without giving further details.

“Faycal C” had been identified by Belgian media as Faycal Cheffou, who claimed to be a freelance journalist.

Cheffou was charged on Saturday with "taking part in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder", according to AFP.

A source close to the inquiry previously said that prosecutors were looking into the theory that he was the third man seen in CCTV footage alongside two suicide bombers at the Zaventem airport, the site of the first of the two attacks on the Belgian capital last week.

Belgian police earlier on Monday released some of the CCTV images in a bid to identify the suspect.

In the video, a man in a hat and white jacket is seen pushing a trolley with a large bag through the departure hall next to bombers Ibrahim El Bakraoui and Najim Laachraoui.

Earlier on Monday it was reported that police in Belgium are working to stop both Islamist extremists and what are described as "far-right hooligans" in the wake of last week's attacks.

At the same time, authorities raided 13 sites in the country as part of their follow up investigations into Islamists still poised to carry out attacks. Dutch police also arrested a French national on suspicion of planning an attack in France.

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/210030

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *