British charity War on Want denied on Sunday reports that the British government had cut off its funding to the group due to the fact that it had been fundamentally transformed from an anti-poverty charity into a front for anti-Israel activists.
“War on Want has dismissed the story in today's Sunday Telegraph suggesting that it has had its funding 'pulled' by the UK government and that the charity has been criticized by the government over its support for human rights in Palestine,” the organization said in a statement on its website.
John Hilary, Executive Director at War on Want, said the report was “a complete fabrication.”
“War on Want has not sought any UK government support for its operations for a number of years now, so it is absurd to suggest that we have had our funding 'pulled'. The insinuation that we have been criticized by the government for standing up for the rights of the Palestinian people is equally bogus. We will be contacting the Telegraph to help it set the record straight,” he added.
A report in the Telegraph had revealed War on Want’s ties to anti-Israel and anti-Semitic speakers who participated in Israel Apartheid Week events funded by the former charity.
Max Blumenthal, son of influential Clinton adviser Sidney Blumenthal, advocated armed attacks on Israel, calling a terrorist massacre by Hamas an “incredible message”. Blumenthal also compared Israel to the ISIS terror group, calling it “the Jewish State of Israel and the Levany, JSIL”.
Other speakers accused the British government of being a Zionist puppet regime. Some recycled conspiracy theories claiming that Israel was secretly harvesting organs from Arabs.
Almost a month after the initial expose on War on Want, the British government decided to cut funding for the group, according to a report in the Telegraph on Saturday.
Earlier on Sunday, NGO Monitor welcomed the British government’s move and called on the European Union to follow suit and pull funding for War on Want.
"This is an important, albeit belated, step by the British government," said NGO Monitor President Prof. Gerald Steinberg.
"Other institutional donors, in particular the European Union, should follow suit and immediately end their funding for this anti-human right organization," he added.
According to research conducted by NGO Monitor, the British government gave War on Want nearly 500,000 pounds (over $700,000) between the years of 2012 and 2015, while the EU gave another 211,000 pounds (over $300,000).