Egypt rejects blame for civilians killed in Libya airstrikes

Egypt on Tuesday rejected accusations of blame in the death of seven civilians killed in Libya last week when Cairo’s military bombed suspected Islamist militant targets after the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians.

A report on Monday from Amnesty International in London said the Egyptian air force had “failed to take the necessary precautions” during the attack and had “joined the ranks of those placing civilians at risk in Libya.”

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Sunday, before the Amnesty report was released, that the air force had hit 13 targets selected after careful study and reconnaissance to avoid civilian casualties.

The attack was launched last week after militants loyal to Islamic State released a video showing the beheading of 21 Coptic Christians from Egypt on a beach in Libya.

via ynetnews.com

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4630384,00.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *