Egyptian authorities on Sunday decided to open the Rafah crossing in both directions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, to allow the passage of humanitarian aid, the Al-Masry Al-Youm newspaper reported.
The crossing was closed last Sunday by Egypt after it had been opened for one week on the occasion of Ramadan.
Official sources told the newspaper that the total number of passengers during that period amounted to 5,184 people, as 4,044 people entered Egypt, and 1,140 others crossed into Gaza.
Egyptian authorities have kept the Rafah crossing, the only access point to the Gaza Strip not controlled by Israel, virtually sealed since October 2014, though they have temporarily reopened the crossing several times.
The reason for the closure is a bombing in the Sinai Peninsula in October which killed 30 Egyptian soldiers.
Egypt is continuing to crackdown on Gaza terrorists, which it says are helping Sinai-based terror groups carry out attacks.
Egyptian sources have revealed that Hamas terrorists had provided the weapons for the lethal attacks in October through one of its smuggling tunnels under the border to Sinai. Hamas denies the allegations.
As part of the crackdown on Gaza terrorism, Egypt is establishing a buffer zone along the border with Gaza. The buffer was initially planned to be 500 meters wide, but was later expanded by another 500 meters. In addition, Egypt has destroyed hundreds of tunnels used by terrorists to smuggle weapons between Egypt and Gaza.