An Egyptian court postponed on Thursday the third session in the final trial of former president Hosni Mubarak on murder-related charges after he failed to show up to the High Court building in downtown Cairo, the Al-Ahram newspaper reported.
The court adjourned the retrial until November 3, and ordered that it be moved to a "more convenient location", according to the newspaper.
Mubarak's lawyer, Farid El-Dieb, said during Thursday's session that the former president does not object to coming to the High Court, however, the Egyptian interior ministry was the one against his presence due to security reasons.
The High Court building is located in a busy area in central Cairo and has been the target of several unsuccessful terrorist attacks in the past two years.
Mubarak is being retried on charges of complicity in killing protesters during the January 2011 revolution which led to his ouster.
Mubarak, 87, was initially sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for his complicity in the murder of protestors during the 18-day uprising, but the court dismissed the case against him in November of 2014, citing legal irregularities.
Prosecutors appealed the ruling, and in June of last year the court set the start of Mubarak’s retrial for November, before proceedings were postponed.
In January 2016, the same court upheld a three-year prison sentence for Mubarak and his two sons for corruption, noted Al-Ahram.
Mubarak’s former military intelligence chief, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, is now president after he overthrew Morsi in the summer of 2013.
Critics have said Sisi is reviving the practices of the Mubarak era, which was marred by police abuses and arrests of dissidents.
Sisi has distanced himself from Mubarak and has insisted that Egypt is moving forward and not backwards. Mubarak, however, has expressed support for Sisi and called on the Egyptian people to stand behind the new president.