FDNY CONFIRMS: Flatbush Tragedy Caused By Unattended, Lit Menorah

The Fire Marshals at the FDNY have just confirmed what YWN published this morning– that the horrible fire in Flatbush which took the lives of a mother and three children was started by an “unattended Menorah”.

There were working smoke alarms in the home.

 

There have been multiple Menorah fires so far this Chanukah. YWN reported on at least three in Israel, and two in Manchester, UK.

As YWN has been reporting, a fire took the lives of a mother and three children early Monday morning.

The deceased have been identified as Mrs. Aliza Azan A”H (39) – the mother of Moshe Azan Z”L (11), Yitzchak Azan Z”L (7), Henrietta Azan A”H (3).

The Levaya will be held at 7:00PM (tonight – Monday) at Beit Knesset “Sheves Achim”, located at Avenue T and East 7th Street in Flatbush.

The Niftarim will be flown on a midnight flight to Eretz Yisroel for Kevura.

Please continue to say Tehillim for Shilat bas Louza Aliza (16) who is critical, Daniel ben Louza Aliza (15) who is critical, and Yosef ben Ahuva Masuda – the father who is critical.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING FIRE SAFETY TIPS:

WHEN LIGHTING THE MONORAH:

NEVER leave Chanukah candles unattended and NEVER go to sleep while Chanukah candles are burning
Place the menorah on a sturdy heat resistant surface away from anything that can catch fire including walls, curtains, cabinets, wooden and plastic tables, tablecloths…
Light the candles out of children’s reach and where they cannot be knocked over!
Keep surfaces and surrounding areas clear from burned matches, wick trimmings, oil residue, and other debris
NEVER light “school project” menorahs made from flammable materials (wood, plastic, etc.)
WHEN COOKING LATKES:

Keep small children away from hot oil and cooking areas
Keep pot handles turned inward and away from the edge of the stove
Use extra caution when carrying hot food around children
Designate ovens, stoves and heat containing appliances as NO GO ZONES for children
Keep hands, hair and sleeves away from open flame
NEVER put water on a grease fire, use a fire extinguisher and call the Fire Dept. emergency number
Treat burns immediately by cooling with cool water (not cold) and call your local emergency response number
ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Supervise children at all times, especially around lit candles, flames, and hot appliances
Have working smoke detectors
Have/ and practice a family fire emergency escape plan with a designated family meeting area outside of your house
Proper fire safety planning and prevention can help keep you and your family safe
For more tips on fire safety for the Jewish community or to bring this program to your community, visit the Maccabee Aish website at www.jewishfireprevention.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *