France formally opens terrorism probe in train attack

French authorities formally opened a terrorism investigation on Tuesday after a thwarted attack on a high-speed train last week, saying the suspected gunman had watched a jihadi video onboard minutes before the violence. The decision to open an investigation was based on the actions by 26-year-old Moroccan suspect Ayoub El-Khazzani on the train Friday night

and information from other European authorities about his travels and apparent links to radical Islam, prosecutor Francois Molins said. Molins said El-Khazzani notably watched the online video on his phone minutes before he walked through the Amsterdam-to-Paris train carrying an assault rifle and other weapons. Authorities say that they found the suspect’s phone in a bag left in the train.

via ynetnews.com

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4694443,00.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *