France: Iran’s Missile Test is ‘Worrying’

Iran's test of a ballistic missile earlier this week was a clear violation of a UN Security Council resolution and sends "a worrying message", French Foreign Ministry spokesman Romain Nadal said on Thursday, according to Reuters.

The statement came after Iran tested a new precision-guided ballistic missile on Sunday, a move the United States later admitted was a violation of a UN resolution.

"The October 11 launch constitutes a clear violation of this resolution (1929). It is a worrying message from Iran to the international community," Nadal was quoted as having told reporters in a daily briefing.

Ballistic missile tests by Iran are banned under Security Council resolution 1929, which is dated 2010 and remains valid until a nuclear deal dating from July 14 this year goes into effect.

Once the deal takes effect, Iran will still be "called upon" not to undertake any work on ballistic missiles designed to deliver nuclear weapons for a period of up to eight years, according to a Security Council resolution adopted in July.

"Resolution 1929 will stay in place until confirmation by the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency), which should give its opinion at the start of 2016, on the implementation of Iran's nuclear commitments," Nadal said, according to Reuters.

Iran continuously carries out long-range ballistic missile drills as it routinely shows off its military program.

Iran's domestic long-range ballistic missiles are, in fact, nuclear capable, according to international reports, particularly the Shahab 3 and Sejjil 2.

On Wednesday, three days after the missile test, Iran's Revolutionary Guard unveiled a secret underground missile base, saying the facility is the "tip of the iceberg" of the Guard's military might.

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/201971

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *