Not all salads need to be a side dish or an add on. This salad is perfect for a hot summer’s day when you want a filling meal that is healthy, balanced and not too heavy.
For the chicken:
- Six chicken breasts, left on the bone, skin intact
- ¼ of a cup of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ of a cup of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ of a cup of za’atar
- ½ tsp salt
For the dressing: (There will be dressing left over. It keeps in the fridge for up to a week)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tsp sesame seeds
- ½ a cup of sugar
- 1tsp salt
- A third of a cup of cider vinegar
- 1tsp dried mustard (or regular sharp mustard if not available)
- ½ a cup of water
- ½ a cup of olive oil
For the salad:
- 3 heads of 3 different types of lettuce
- 1 red pepper, sliced very thinly
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced very thinly
- 8-10 radishes, sliced thinly (I used the French longer ones, but any will do)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved (you can mix red and yellow for more color)
- 500g baby new potatoes, left whole, boiled in salted water and left to cool, then halved
- ½ a cup of craisins
- ½ a cup of slivered almonds
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
Mix lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, za’atar and salt together and apply evenly over the chicken and place in a baking dish.
Cover and bake chicken for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for a further 20 minutes until cooked through.
Leave to cool before removing the chicken from the skin and bone and cutting into slices.
While the chicken is roasting, mix all the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate until needed.
To assemble the salad, place all the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl and mix. Add chicken.
Toss salad with enough dressing to coat.