Six IDF commanders of the Judea-Samaria division revealed Wednesday that while the current Arab terror wave may have claimed the lives of 34 victims since last September, the next terror wave is likely to be even worse.
In an interview with Yedioth Aharonoth, the commanders spoke about the methods used in recent months to bring about a drop in the number of attacks, even though high-level attacks continue – just last week on Monday a Hamas bus bombing struck Jerusalem, leaving 15 wounded.
Etzion Brigade Commander Col. Roman Gufman spoke about the daily activities keeping the terror wave in check, saying, "from the village Saer, 12 terrorists have emerged in two and a half months."
"We checked which hamula (Arab tribal family – ed.) they came from and we acted only against them, while we gave easier conditions to the rest of the hamulot in the village. They picked up on it quickly, and blocked those who needed to be stopped."
In the village of Burdus, Efraim Brigade Commander Col. Roi Sheetrit described the technique of offering benefits to the residents which was used to squelch terror.
"It's a small village with 2,500 residents which made a lot of trouble. But the moment they started to pave a central road for them, the regional council head and school director came and put down any protest that started," said Sheetrit.
However, Shomron Brigade Commander Col. Shai Kalper warned that the next round of terror will be even worse.
"When the (terror) wave renews, it will jump up by several levels. It won't go back to 13-year-old kids with knives any more," he said.
"The explosion on the bus in Jerusalem brought us all back to the start of the 2000s," added Kalper, noting on the attack last week which was the first bus bombing of the current terror wave, and referencing the 2000-2005 Second Intifada or Oslo War which left over 1,000 Israelis murdered.