Iran blasts terror compensation ruling as ‘theft’

Iran on Thursday rejected a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court which determined Iran would have to compensate families of victims of the 1983 Marine barracks bombing in Beirut and other attacks linked to the Islamic Republic, The Associated Press reported.

The ruling said Iran would have to compensate the victims with nearly $2 billion in frozen Iranian funds.

The spokesman of Iran's foreign ministry, Hossein Jaberi Ansari, blasted the verdict and said that "such a verdict is a theft of the assets and properties of the Islamic Republic of Iran."

The state IRNA news agency quoted Ansari as having said the ruling is "tantamount to ridiculing justice and law and it does not create any right for the U.S. nationals."

He added that Iran considers the American government responsible for compensating any damages that Iran might incur from the verdict.

Tehran had appealed a 2014 New York Circuit Court of Appeals ruling upholding the legality of a 2012 law, which stated that the frozen funds should go toward the $2.65 billion judgement the families won against Iran in a federal court in 2007.

Over 1,000 American families had been involved in the ruling, which follows a lengthy legal battle over the fund and over compensation for Iranian terror attacks.

Iran denies any links to the attacks and has said it had no role in the deadly events in the Lebanese capital, noted AP.

Ansari said the verdict also shows Washington is still under the influence of Israel and that such hostile action against Tehran "only adds to the growing and intense mistrust of U.S. policies by the Iranian government and nation."

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/211275

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *