Iraqi intelligence services sent a message to the various countries making up the US-led coalition against ISIS last Thursday, warning that the jihadist group intends to carry out attacks on their home soil.
The next day the warnings came true, as Paris was hit by its deadliest attack since World War II.
Associated Press reports that according to the Iraqi dispatch, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of ISIS, had ordered "bombings or assassinations or hostage taking in the coming days," against coalition countries, as well as Iran and Russia.
French security officials have not denied that they received a warning, but explained that they get similar messages "all the time."
However, four senior Iraqi intelligence officials said that they specifically warned France of the danger. The Associated Press said that two of these officials informed France that the an attack had been planned in the Syrian city of Raqqa, ISIS's effective capital, and that the attackers then traveled to France and received assistance from a local sleeper cell.
A total of 24 people took part in the actual attack – 19 attackers and five more for planning and logistics.
European officials say that eight terrorists were responsible. Seven blew themselves up during the course of the evening, while a manhunt is underway for the eighth.