Israel, US resume defence aid talks halted over Iran deal

Israel and the United States have resumed talks on future defence aid that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suspended in protest at the Iran nuclear deal, the Israeli ambassador to Washington said on Sunday. The allies had been looking to agree on a 10-year aid package to extend the current US grants to Israel worth $3 billion annually, which

are due to expire in 2017. But Netanyahu froze negotiations ahead of the July deal reached between Iran and world powers, which Israel deems insufficiently stringent. “With the nuclear deal now moving ahead, Israel is also moving ahead, hoping to forge a common policy with the United states to address the continuing dangers posed by Iran,” Ambassador Ron Dermer said in a Facebook post.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *