The High Court for Justice held a hearing Wednesday, on a petition filed by lawyers of administrative detainee and hunger striker Mohammed Allan, seeking the Islamic Jihad terrorist's release in light of his self-imposed medical condition.
The media were not allowed into the courtroom. MK Ahmad Tibi (Joint List) attended the hearing and spoke on Allan's behalf.
"Doctors at Barzilai Hospital doctor gave an update on Allan's status, and said his condition is not good," Tibi stated, according to Walla! News.
Meanwhile, Allan's legal team – attorneys Jamil Hatib and Sassoun Zahar – demanded Allan's "immediate release, this minute."
The High Court's final ruling has yet to be released. However, according to Haaretz, the State will allegedly agree to release Allan in the event that he has shown to have suffered irreversible brain damage.
Earlier Wednesday, Hatib said he received an offer from the State Prosecution, according to which Allan will be released in early November, at the end of his current, second term of administrative incarceration – and that his administrative detention will not be renewed a third time.
Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud) stated soon after the news surfaced that he was vehemently opposed to such a deal.
Allan, 31, emerged from a coma on Tuesday afternoon, and pledged to resume fasting if Israel did not resolve his case within 24 hours.
On Wednesday morning, his brother relayed that Allan intends to instruct doctors at Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon to cease all treatment.
"Today at 12, he will stop the feeding being given to him," Imad Allan told Army Radio. "He's not with us. Half of him is in a different world. Anyone who sees him would say on the spot 'release him, he's going to die.'"
Arab terrorist prisoners have turned hunger striking into a pressure tactic aimed at forcing Israel to release them out of fear for their lives. Israel has several times in the past caved to the pressure and released some hunger strikers.
However, according to a poll released earlier this week, hunger-striking as a phenomenon is on the decline – with just 30 prisoners on hunger strike between January and June 2015, and 180 Palestinian Arab prisoners who reportedly went on hunger strike in July – but most of them only went on strike for a short time.