A scene in a Jerusalem courtyard in the Jewish Quarter, April 1917 (Imperial War Museum Q 86316)
The distinctive arches on the building on the right identify it as the Rothschild Building, part of the Batei Machaseh compound built for Jewish residents of the Jewish Quarter. It was donated by Baron Wilhelm Karl de Rothschild of Frankfurt. The building still bears the Rothschild family's coat of arms. The compound was built between 1860 and 1890 to provide housing for Jerusalem's poor.
The first was taken in the midst of the fighting in June 1948, and the Jews are seen gathering their belongings for their evacuation.
The second picture, taken in July 1948, shows the looting that took place. The pictures appear in the DaledAmos blog.
Jewish Quarter courtyard prior to evacuation (Life Magazine, John Phillips)
Jewish Quarter after the evacuation and looting (Life Magazine, John Phillips)
Phillips' last picture shows the Jews' evacuation from the Old City under the guard of Jordanian Legionnaires. The Rothschild Building serves as the backdrop to the tragic picture.
Jewish refugees heading to the Zion Gate near the Rothschild Building