The Uruguayan government said on Thursday that a convert to Islam who fatally stabbed a Jewish man in the country earlier this week while reportedly shouting “Allahu Akbar” acted alone and had no ties to foreign terrorist groups.
According to the Reuters news agency, Uruguay's Interior Minister Eduardo Bonomi said the government drew its conclusion after security agents scoured the computer of the stabber, 36-year-old Carlos Peralta, and searched his home for signs he might have links to outside groups.
"No links arise with other people inside or outside the country, nor with any group," Bonomi was quoted as having said.
Earlier on Thursday, a judge found Peralta guilty of knifing businessman David Fremd late on Tuesday in Paysandu, near the border with Argentina.
The judge told the El Telegrafo newspaper that Peralta would be sent to a psychiatric hospital for tests ahead of sentencing.
"He consistently talked about the religious motivations but did not once recognize committing the crime," the judge was quoted by Reuters as having told the local paper. "He said his actions were in the hands of Allah."
Uruguay has not been in the headlines for anti-Semitic attacks in recent years, but last summer an Uruguayan army bomb squad dismantled an "incomplete" explosive device in front of an office tower housing the Israeli embassy.
Last January, authorities in Uruguay detonated what turned out to be a fake bomb found near the Israeli embassy.
Uruguay later expelled a senior Iranian diplomat the planting of the dummy bomb.