Police Forces Preparing for Demolition in Beit El

Police forces in large numbers arrived in the town of Beit El on Monday night in preparation for the demolition of the Draynoff Homes, which the High Court had ordered to be demolished.

Dozens of youths gathered in the area in an attempt to prevent the evacuation of the buildings. There were some reports of violence in the area, but not in the homes themselves.

There were no reports of injuries, but at least 30 people were arrested.

The High Court on Sunday yet again sought to put a halt to plans to prevent the demolition of the homes, issuing an injunction against any construction work that would result from the removal of objections to the project by a planning council.

Supporters had hoped that the change could lead to a new legal status for the buildings. Previously, the High Court had ordered the buildings to be demolished because they were built without approval of planning councils. The decision last week was set to pave the way for the issuance of retroactive building permits for the project.

Nevertheless, the demolition in the dead of night is surprising because over the last few days, progress had been made in legalizing the area for construction.

The arrival of the police forces came just hours after Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked (Jewish Home) visited Beit El, and told residents of the efforts the state was making to legalize the homes in accordance with the High Court ruling.

Shaked told the residents that the state's response to the High Court, which has yet to be written, would be that demolishing the Draynoff Homes would be pointless.

"I met with the residents and assured them that various government ministers are working directly and indirectly to care for the welfare of Jewish settlement throughout the country," she said following the meeting.

“In order to make sure incidents do not recur we have established the regulatory committee, which will begin operations next week and aims to legalize the construction in Judea and Samaria so that no Jew will be forced to leave his home,” added Shaked.

Meanwhile, the Beit El Local Council is preparing to file a petition to the High Court on Tuesday morning, in response to one filed by extreme leftist groups, hoping that the Court would decide to order the cancellation of the demolitions. 

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/198720

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *