Russia denies hosting top Iranian commander

MOSCOW – A senior Russian diplomat on Friday denied claims that an Iranian general has visited Moscow in violation of the United Nations sanctions.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said that Moscow assured Washington that Maj. Gen. Ghasem Soleimani, the commander of the elite Quds Force in Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, hadn’t visited Moscow. “I have no information whatsoever that he visited Russia,” Ryabkov said, adding that Moscow had told Washington so and was surprised to hear the continuing expression of concern from the US. Fox News has reported that Soleimani visited Moscow last month for meetings with President Vladimir Putin and his defense minister. Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov had earlier denied that the president had no such meeting. US officials have said Washington was trying to determine if Soleimani had traveled to Moscow in violation of the UN travel ban. Soleimaini has been on the UN sanctions blacklist since 2007, which also requires that all countries freeze his overseas assets.

via ynetnews.com

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4690783,00.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *