Turkey charges 13 over Istanbul airport attack

13 suspects, including 10 Turks, were charged Sunday over last week's suicide bombings at the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, AFP reported, citing the Turkish Dogan news agency.

Turkish officials have pointed blame at the Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist group for Tuesday's gun and bomb spree at Ataturk airport, which left 45 people dead including 19 foreigners.

The suspects, who are in police custody, were charged with belonging to a terror group, homicide and endangering the unity of the state, Dogan reported, without providing the foreigners' nationalities.

Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, meanwhile, gave some new details on the probe, saying police had arrested a total of 29 to date over the attacks, including foreigners.

Officials had previously said the three bombers were a Russian, an Uzbek and a Kyrgyz national.

"Everything will be unveiled in due time," Yildirim said Sunday, according to AFP. "We are carrying out a vast inquiry in this case."

Istanbul authorities said Sunday that 49 people injured in the attack were still being treated, with 17 in intensive care.

Turkish media have identified the attack's organizer as Akhmed Chatayev, the Chechen leader of an ISIS cell in Istanbul who reportedly found accommodation for the bombers.

Turkey has been rocked by a series of attacks in the past year blamed on either ISIS jihadists or Kurdish rebels.

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/214449

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *