Two Canadian soldiers stabbed in Toronto

A 27-year-old man was arrested on Monday in Toronto, Canada, after allegedly stabbing two members of the Canadian Forces in the northern part of the city, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reported.

Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders said the unprovoked attack took place at around 3:30 p.m. Local at a military recruitment center.

A man walked into the center, pulled out a knife and attacked the person behind the counter, Saunders told CBC. The attacker attempted to move farther into the building, but was taken down by a group of between six and eight soldiers, the chief said.

Two people suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

"We're fortunate that the Canadian Forces, through their training, reacted," Saunders was quoted as having told reporters, adding the injuries could have been "much more severe" had they not stopped the attack.

He added the suspect uttered "certain comments" that are of concern, but declined to say what they were.

"I want a full understanding of what was said, so I'm not giving bits and pieces," the chief said.

Police are strongly considering the possibility that the attack was an act of terrorism, but it's still early in the investigation, said Saunders.

The suspect is currently being held in custody in hospital.

If indeed the incident was a terror attack, it would not be the first one in Canada. In October of 2014, a terrorist shot and killed a soldier near the Canadian parliament in Ottawa.

That attack came a week after a 25-year-old who converted to Islam rammed his car into two soldiers in the Quebec town of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu and was shot dead by police. One of the soldiers later died.

Last month, Canada arrested 60 people who returned to the country after having joined foreign terrorist groups such as the Islamic State (ISIS).

Source: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/209407

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *