UN responds to accusations it caved to Saudis

UNITED NATIONS- The United Nations on Tuesday responded to accusations from human rights groups that it caved in to Saudi Arabia by taking the coalition it leads in Yemen off a UN blacklist on child rights by insisting that the secretary-general stands by its findings

that coalition attacks killed and injured many youngsters in the war-ravaged country last year. UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric reiterated that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon took the coalition off the list pending a joint review of cases with the Saudis. That decision drew strong protests from Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and other rights groups who said the coalition belongs on the list for its attacks on children, schools and hospitals. Amnesty International accused the UN of “shameful pandering” to the Saudi-led coalition saying “the credibility of the United Nations is on the line.” Human Rights Watch’s Philippe Bolopion said Ban’s office “hit a new low by capitulating to Saudi Arabia’s brazen pressure.”

via ynetnews.com

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4813332,00.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *