The State Department announced late Tuesday that the US Embassy in Yemen has been closed and evacuated after much of the country was overrun by Houthi Shiite rebels last month, reports Fox News.
The embassy had already been operating with severely reduced staff for several weeks. State Department spokesman Jen Psaki said remaining diplomatic personnel had been relocated "due to the ongoing political instability and the uncertain security situation."
Iran-linked Shiite Houthi rebels laid seige to Sanaa in recent months, eventually taking control and forcing the resignation of the US and Saudi-backed president and his government.
Earlier Tuesday, US officials told the Associated Press that the closure would not affect ongoing operations against the terror group Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
"The United States remains firmly committed to supporting all Yemenis who continue to work toward a peaceful, prosperous and unified Yemen," Psaki said. "We will explore options for a return to Sanaa when the situation on the ground improves."
The State Department also issued a travel warning advising US citizens not to travel to Yemen and urging US citizens currently living in Yemen to leave it.