BEIRUT – The US military denied Monday reports that civilians were killed in US-led coalition airstrikes last week on a village controlled by the Islamic State group in northern Syria. Meanwhile the rights group which first reported the civilian casualties said the death toll has risen to 64, including at least 31 children.
“We currently have no indication that any civilians were killed in these strikes,” US Central Command spokesman, Maj. Curtis Kellogg told The Associated Press in an email. Two videos and several photos purporting to show the aftermath of the strikes on the remote mixed Arab and Kurdish village were mostly
produced by the Islamic State group’s media arms. The strikes happened overnight Thursday on the Syrian village of Bir Mahli, near the border city of Kobani, the Britain-based based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Observatory director Rami Abdurrahman said that the death toll rose to 64 Sunday after missing persons were found dead. He said the airstrikes hit civilians, all of them Arabs, in their homes.