Venezuela officials say ex-general, 13 others in coup plot

Venezuelan officials Friday cheered the thwarting of what they said was a planned coup that involved a plot to blow up the presidential palace. President Nicolas Maduro announced Thursday night that a retired air force general had been arrested and 13 other people are

implicated in a plot to overthrow the South American country’s 15 year-old socialist revolution. “We have foiled a coup attempt against democracy and the stability of our homeland,” Maduro said, speaking on the anniversary of the massive street protests which wracked the nation last year. Congress president Diosdado Cabello said in a television broadcast later that 11 soldiers were among those implicated, including a retired general, and said several have been arrested. He also named two opposition politicians and a businessman as plotters.

via ynetnews.com

Source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4626362,00.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *