The United States on Tuesday night issued a statement in which it said it “condemns in the strongest possible terms” the terrorist attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk International Airport.
“Ataturk International Airport, like Brussels Airport which was attacked earlier this year, is a symbol of international connections and the ties that bind us together,” the statement from the White House said.
“Our deepest condolences go out to the families and loved ones of those killed, and we wish a speedy recovery to those injured. We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner, along with all of our friends and allies around the world, as we continue to confront the threat of terrorism,” it added.
The European Union’s High Representatives for Foreign Affairs, Federica Mogherini, condemned the attack as well.
“Another tragic terrorist attack in #Turkey. The EU stands by the Turkish people. Our heart is with them all,” she wrote on Twitter.
At least 32 people were killed in the attack, which occurred when two or three suicide attackers detonated explosives at the Istanbul airport.
While some reports said the Islamic State (ISIS) was responsible for the attacks, a Turkish official said it was too early to determine that for a fact.